Please let me know what you think. Sometimes the locale of beauty is surprising. Whereas I was somewhat disappointed in St. Michael's Cathedral in Toronto, I was impressed by St. Dunstan's in Charlottetown. Bigger diocese doesn't necessarily translate into more beautiful church. Living now in the Ottawa Valley, I have detected a certain degree of clannishness when it comes to speaking of the relative beauty of Notre Dame Cathedral and St. Patrick's Basilica in Ottawa. In this case I don't think it's all about the church! But, again, beauty is a funny thing. For instance, there is a certain simple elegance to be found in the rather undecorated, or perhaps unencumbered, St. Columbkille Cathedral in Pembroke (my diocese), which proves that you can't have it all, can you? - free and light and ornate.
But I have not been all over this country. So I really don't know what's out there. And, if there is one thing we cannot be objective about it's churches. Why? Because they are too important to us. But I am convinced that there is so much beauty out there to behold. The many drives I have made through Quebec assure me that just over that hill there is treasure to behold.
| One factor is setting. This is my church, St. Hedwig's in Barry's Bay, if you can pick it out. |
0 comments:
Post a Comment