Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Catholic Education

I don't like to quote American things here at the SCCB, since this is a Canadian forum, but I'd like to draw your attention to an article being carried by the Newman Society about a study conducted at Georgetown University on what consequences for faith life going to university has. Whereas upon entering university 11% describe themselves as religiously unaffiliated, upon leaving that number rises to 25 %. This is not all that unexpected, but, for as expected as it is, it might still give us pause for thought. See the executive report of the study here.

I want to address this matter here because it is obviously a serious one. Having spent the last twenty years in Catholic Education - both as giver and as receiver - and as a convert to the Faith - I find the positions Catholic families adopt on their children's education quite interesting.

What do you think of the state of Catholic higher education in Canada?

Perhaps I should also put in a plug for the two Canadian schools who made the Newman Society's list of good Catholic schools: my old employer, Our Lady Seat of Wisdom and another school that I have been hearing a lot of good things about, Redeemer Pacific. Give them some consideration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment